with the four greatest teachers of my life

with the four greatest teachers of my life

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Hiking with Abigail

The mountains call when I seek to feel small

Where problems are pebbles in the quarry of the cosmos

The trees loom terrifyingly tall

With caches of creatures hiding in the hollows

 

Equal parts minuscule and mettle

I take on the challenge of climbing to the crest

With my offspring made muse, I will not settle

I know that I must put forth my best

 

Slithering snakes and scurrying squirrels cross my way

Roots, rocks, and inclines so steep

I have to keep hiking and cannot stay

Small creeks traversed by brittle bridge or long leap

 

At the height of tiredness we spy delicate alpine growth

Shorter shrubbery indicating the summit is near

An extra surge of energy now spurs us both

Love has finally overcome fear

 

After well-earned respite on the bald peak

We begin our descent, with challenges its own

By this time my middle-aged muscles are weak

I keep my eyes focused on every loose stone

 

It happens so quickly I cannot explain

My foot slides under me as I spin and fall

The shock of it hits me before the pain

And I realize I cannot even attempt to crawl

 

Roles reversed as my girl gives aid

She washes, bandages, and assists me to standing

Waves of nausea and swirling colors fade

As she encourages and waits instead of stranding

 

Several hours later we make it down, we pair

With a full story for the family to eventually hear

Because of courage and strength, but especially care

Love has finally overcome fear




 

No comments:

Post a Comment