with the four greatest teachers of my life

with the four greatest teachers of my life

Sunday, July 29, 2012

open books

We are a family of readers.  These days, it's as much bookmarked websites and Kindle downloads as it is as actual books, but it seems we are all in the midst of reading something that interests us.  Elizabeth set the tone early on for the family, asking for "a stack a books" as soon as she could talk and poring over them endlessly.  Abigail is a particularly voracious reader, especially in the summer, zipping through a new novel every day or two.  Most of us finish one thing before starting the next.  I, on the other hand, usually have several open books at once.

At any given time, you will find some kind of inspirational or spiritual read at my bedside or near the bath tub.  Favorites of the past have included Simple Abundance, Everyday Grace, and Daily Parenting Reflections.  Sometimes it's a heavier selection from Eckhart Tolle or Gary Zukav.  I feel like I always need to stretch that side of myself. Often, somewhere in the house, there is a book I'm reading aloud to my husband and whomever else may wander into the room.  Right now I'm finishing up The Hunger Games trilogy.  It is new to George and me, but Abigail and Viktor have read them all already.  They still like to listen in.  Of course, there are young children's books which I read to Claire each night...again and again.  Recent favorites are Koala Lou and the Clifford and Spot books.  I'm happy that reading is being worked into her bedtime ritual and so amused when I see her mimic me (everything begins with "one day" and ends with "that was a great story").  Sometimes there is a guilty pleasure read for me like the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy...yes, I admit it...I had to see what all the fuss was about.  From time to time, there is a good piece of literature just for me.  The Weird Sisters, recommended by my sister, is this summer's selection.  And then there is a specific parenting book.  This will be focused on whatever my current challenge or interest is.  Now it's Raising Your Spirited Child, which has been priceless because it describes Claire to a tee and has given me countless practical suggestions.  In the past, my parenting books have included Parenting the Hurt Child and Beyond Consequences Logic and Control, among many other adoption-based pieces.  There have also been more general ones like One Two Three Magic, the Dr. Sears and What to Expect books, Siblings Without Rivalry, and many others. 

It occurred to me that my reading style mirrors my mothering.  I've definitely got several books open right now as a mom.  I have the college-aged daughter book, focused on letting go but still supporting...always supporting.  It's the time to forge a new kind of relationship--one with visits instead of full-time living together, one of respectful differences and ideas from a young adult, one that may involve accepting new people into the family circle.  I have the high school kid book.  This one is similar to the first book except this daughter is still fully in the nest and needing more direct nurturing.  It's a time of helping her search for her own identity and letting her take on the role of oldest child in the house.  I have the tween boy book.  I'm still not sure what this means, but I do know I'm getting glimpses of the young man he will be.  He has very defined interests that are all his own, but he requires much guidance in where he will go and what he will do.  It looks like it's probably a time of focusing more on him and what directions he will take.  And I have the toddler/preschooler book.  It's a time of rapid changes and lots of fun.  It's high intensity and a great deal of work, but it really is so straightforward--tons of love and guidance.  Having the perspective of parenting three much older siblings helps a lot in getting through this book!

So are they four different books or four chapters of the same one??


No comments:

Post a Comment